Sunday, August 20, 2006

Don't Eat This Book


That's how I've spent most of my weekend, reading this book and becoming increasingly freaked out over food. I'm not a big eater, I don't eat red meat, but potatoes? I can't eat potatoes anymore? Damn! I thought it was the texture I didn't like, but it could be the pesticides that are making me gag. I'd gotten over, or perhaps forgotten the dire warnings of "Fast Food Nation" - but it's back, my growing and exponential fear over the pesticides and other poisons in our foods.

Here's a quick little view, taken from "Don't eat this Book" Morgan Spurlock, Penguin Books Ltd....

"...collective insanity, the meat producers of this country (USA) are feeding all sorts of animals to the animals they feed to us. Dead pigs and dead horses are ground up for cattle feed, and so are dead chickens."

"...you want to hear something really disgusting? The cattle industry buys millions of dead cats and dogs from animal shelters every year, then feeds them to the cattle who end up in your burger."

According to this book, they do the same with roadkill.

I don't want to scare ya, but ewww!

I don't eat fast food, I barely eat food at all. I am so-so about 'casual food' such as the fare dished out at the chain food outlets masquerading as family restaurants that have recently opened in my neighbourhood, but the more I learn about our food, the more I hesitate to even take a bite.

I've got a dear friend who's suffering with CJD (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease). It's terrible - truly terrible. I don't want to see anymore.

What can you feed yourself, what can you feed your kids, what can we do to not poison ourselves? It's early on a rainy Sunday, but I want some answers, I need to know what I can buy, where I can shop and what is safe. Am I over reacting? I don't know. What do you feel safe with? What do you feed your loved ones?


=======rant mode off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right, food is scary, find out where your local farmers markets are. Get to know them and their produce. They'll feed you and keep you healthy too. There are organic, farmers' markets in most cities. Be safe!