Saturday, August 12, 2006

Not a morning person - Thanks Jim

I'm not, nor have I ever been, one to bounce outta bed in the morning. Rick wakes up early and starts whistling every day. I pull the covers over my head on weekdays until about 7:45, but on weekend I head to the basement where the darkness lingers and sleep till 10:00 or so. Today was such a day, and I awoke to the sounds of Jim Bryson singing about being tired of sleeping in Toronto. Nice! Got me right up, thank you CBC for playing one of my favorite musicians on a sunny Saturday morning, and not too early to disturb my sleep. Jim Bryson should be a really big star, he writes gorgeous songs. But his record label dumped him after the North Side Benches failed to make great sales, despite the fact that it is loved by critics. We went to see Jim this summer at the Ottawa Blues Fest and he was awesome. A quite confidence in his playing and lyrical ability; a real artist who doesn't give a damn about the business side of the music industry. Too bad 'cause in some ways cause more would know about his gift, but he's happy backing up Kathleen Edwards and touring the world with her band, so go for it Jim. At the Fest we watched him ply his craft and totally charm the audience. That's what got me outta bed today....hearing Jimmy sing. I love when a Saturday starts that way.

No comments: